Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Modeller of the Month - April 2009 - Ray Holwill

Ray’s story

My story is a little different to most; you see I started to build model boats as a means of kick starting my brain after experiencing a minor stroke!

The first model that I built was the “Port Jackson” it was small enough and reasonably uncomplicated and the brochure said that it could be done by a child.

The exercise worked wonderfully well, and within 4 months I was back at work. The next model was started, the Endeavour a Corel model. Perhaps it was too good, as the 2nd stroke hit me some 6 months later, this time it did some real damage!

After 7 months in hospital where I actually took the model to work on it in hospital as part of my Occupational Therapy I was discharged, having totally lost the use of my right arm, right hand and 60% of my right leg. The Endeavour was continued and is now under “glass” as a reminder to me that challenges must be overcome!

Friends came to my assistance and remodelled my work area, my “Boat Shed” and the production of models continued. Three America’s Cup models for my friends, The Bounty was next, by now the challenge was really on and so the VICTORY a Corel model was obtained and 3 years later and about 1800 knots tied by one hand and my teeth it was finished! A 12 month break was called for, after all, after a Victory in more ways than one, what is next? I had a go of the Norsk Love a lovely model but it was too big to handle physically, it seems that I had reached my limits. It is still in my shed, I call it “Ray’s Folly” a reminder that there can be a limit of what one can do.

So downsizing, I obtained a model of the “Half Moon” a lovely little ship and an excellent size to handle. Being located in Perth WA it was fantastic to see the “Duyfken” being built in Fremantle, this inspired me to build the “DUYFKEN” by modifying the Half Moon using photographs of the now finished replica and also using the then recently printed book called “TO BUILD A SHIP” by Robert Garvey was obtained, it had just been printed and was a fantastic pictorial guide for me to build my model with the accuracy of detail needed to do justice to this wonderful Dutch: Yacht

My model took 9 months to build, the kit gave me the frames and keel, and I purchased planks for the hull so that I could stain them with Antique Baltic Pine stain to look like the oak that the replica was made from. There was a considerable modification required on the fore castle and the typical sloping Dutch poop deck, so scrap 3mm ply was used. Attention to the masts and rigging with the help of the book allowed me to obtain the correct Dead Eyes of tear shape, round was not good enough!

The very flexible strips of wood from the kit were also needed as there were some very difficult bends as fitting with one hand was bad enough. Painting could make or break the Duyfken, so meticulous care was needed to copy the Replica as close as possible. Do not throw away the little Half Moon emblem as it was cut in half, stuck on a piece of 3mm 3ply and using a piece of tooth pick with one end flared out to represent the doves tail it became the little dove emblem seen on the replica! Having said that, there are no documentary proof that the Replica is “as built” a true copy as the Dutch authorities could not find any records of the manufacturing plans. I do hope that more people take up the challenge to build a Duyfken as I found that the finished article is a pleasure to exhibit.

Actually being a cheeky person that I am my Duyfken was exhibited in the 2003 Perth Royal Show and it was awarded 1st Prize in the Disability Section of the Show.

I finished a model of a Chinese Pirate Junk 18 months ago, and this was actually surprisingly more difficult than the Duyfken! Perhaps the shape had something to do with it or I am just slowing down?

Finally a model of the UNICORN was obtained from Modeller’s Shipyard as the size and shape could be adjusted to represent a merchant ship called the ELIZABETH, a plan of the Elizabeth was obtained from the London Maritime Museum, it was single plan view no water line or elevations at all and just a scale of ¼’ to the foot to guide me. This model is being intensively modified with a crews quarters and a saloon on deck again a bit more than I bargained for, it is due to be finished December 2009.

From the team here at Modellers Shipyard we would like to Thank Ray Holwill for writing this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment